April 5, 2013

Quinoa with Pine Nuts and Broccoli

This is a new one to me that I tried for the first time today. I got it here. My husband, my 18 month old and I really enjoyed it. The quinoa is really moist and crumbly with a garlic and pine nut flavour.


Here it is with the changes I made:

Quinoa with Pine Nuts and Broccoli
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup red quinoa, rinsed thoroughly and drained
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup broccoli, steamed and chopped

Heat the coconut oil in a pan on the stove. Add the quinoa and toast about 15 minutes until seeds separate. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Transfer this to a rice cooker. Add the water and salt and start the rice cooker on the "white rice" setting.
Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet on the stove over low heat for 3 minutes.
A few minutes before the rice cooker is finished, add the broccoli to the quinoa. Stir it in and close the lid again to let it finish cooking.
Serve the quinoa topped with the pine nuts. 

For rinsing the quinoa, I don't yet have a seive. So I lined my colander with a towel and rinsed the quinoa in that. It was a little tedious scooping the quinoa out afterwards, but it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment