April 24, 2013

Flash Freezing Fruit

 We buy frozen fruit sometimes for making smoothies. I like to buy a bunch of bananas and I usually end up freezing some of them before they go bad to make smoothies out of. I wanted to do the same with some other fruit, but I didn't know how to do that without having them all come out in one frozen lump. I then discovered the technique of flash freezing. By all the fruit not sticking together you can just take out however much you need at the time.


If it is a big fruit, cut it up into chunks. Then spread them all out on a freezable tray with air space between them. Place the tray in your freezer. When all the fruit is frozen, take the fruit off the tray and put them in a plastic bag. If your fruit is all frozen separately, then they won't stick together. I don't know why I didn't think of this.


I discovered in trying this that my cookie sheet fits perfectly across the top of the freezer and I can still close the lid tightly overtop. I just put a piece of wax paper on top to keep the fruit from touching the lid of the freezer.


This technique also works well for freezing meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment