April 22, 2013

Sushi

A couple years ago, a Korean friend of mine taught me how to make sushi and I have been making it ever since. I make probably the simplest version of it but we enjoy it a lot.




Sushi
1 cup rice, uncooked
3 sheets of Nori seaweed paper
1 can tuna, salmon or crab meat
mayonnaise
carrots
cucumber
olive oil


To start, I cook the rice in my rice cooker. 

While it is cooking, I mix the fish with a bit of mayonnaise. I used a can of salmon this time.
 
 I also cut my carrots and cucumber into thin slices.

 
When the rice is done cooking, I put a piece of Nori on the bamboo sushi mat with the smooth shiny side down and the rough side up.

Then I spread the rice across the rough side of the paper until it is thinly and fairly evenly covered.
One third of the way across the Nori sheet, I spread a line of salmon, slices of carrot and slices of cucumber.

Then I start rolling the sushi using the bamboo mat.


And then I have my first roll of sushi.

 With 1 cup of rice, I can make 3 rolls of sushi- one a bit sparsely covered.

Then I take some olive oil and rub the outside of the sushi rolls with it. I also put a little on my knife so the rice doesn't stick to it as much when I cut them.

I slice them into 1 inch slices and lay them out on a plate. I got 30 slices from the 3 rolls. 

Besides cucumbers and carrots, you can use sliced omelette, cheese, avacado and pretty much anything you want to put in them.

I like to dip them in soy sauce and my husband likes to mix wasabi sauce with his soy sauce to dip them in.

If you really want to be fancy, you can decorate the tops with pickled ginger and fish eggs (usually orange tobiko).

 

2 comments:

  1. Last time I tried to roll sushi it looked like a 4 year old did it. Yours looks much more appetizing haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete