October 17, 2012

Stuffing and Roasting a Whole Chicken in the Oven


I bought a couple whole chickens from the store and I've never roasted or stuffed a chicken before so I decided to give it a go. I looked up a couple sites online for some basic directions and found helpful Roast Chicken and Stuffing for a stuffing recipe and helpwithcooking.com for very good directions for roasting. I changed a few things and here's how it went.


My Stuffing Recipe
2 Tbsp. butter
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
3 slices bread, cut in cubes
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup milk
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a skillet. 
 Add the onion and saute.
 Add the garlic and continue sautéing.
 Add the parsley.
 Add the bread and continue cooking. I used homemade whole wheat bread.
 Beat the egg and mix the milk in with it.
 Then add the milk/egg mixture to the stuffing.
 Mix in and continue cooking until eggs are cooked. Salt and pepper it.
 I rinsed the chicken off in cold water and dried it off.
 Coat the chicken with olive oil and stuff the stuffing into the chicken.
 Here's the chicken, stuffed and oiled.
 I scrubbed 7 small potatoes and put them in too as well as 2 peeled and cut carrots.
 Ready for the oven. I preheated the oven to 425' F, put the lid on the roasting pan and put it in the oven. After 15 minutes, I turned the oven down to 375' F.
 Another 15 minutes later, I took the chicken out of the oven and basted the chicken, potatoes and carrots with the juices from the bottom of the pan. I also salt and peppered everything.
 Every 1/2 hour I basted it all again.
After cooking a full two hours total, the chicken was fully cooked and crispy on the outside. Looks and smells delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment