July 11, 2019

Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce for Pasta

 We were planning to be gone all day at the beach so instead of cooking the tomato sauce for pasta all day on low on the stove, I decided to try using the slow cooker. And it worked great! I will definitely be doing that again.

1. Pour in the tomato sauce. I have a pretty big slow cooker (6-8 quarts), but two jars 680 mL each of crushed strained tomatoes was enough to fill it past the "minimum fill" line.


2. Add the meat. When I make tomato sauce for pasta I choose the toughest cuts of meats with fat marbled through for a long cook in a pot on the stove. I sometimes use ground beef, but usually I pick a chuck or round steak and cut it into pieces or stewing beef. This time I had some little chunks in the freezer my husband had cut off a beef brisket a couple months ago.

3. Add the onions and garlic. I sautéed in olive oil on the stove one diced onion and four minced cloves of garlic to add.

4. Season. I seasoned the sauce with two teaspoons of Italian seasoning, salt (use less if it is added to the sauce already), and pepper.

5. Let it cook all day in the slow cooker. Serve on pasta sprinkled with cheese.

Pasta and tomato sauce goes so well with a green salad. What an easy, quick and filling meal after being out all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment