April 1, 2015

"Replacing" Printer Ink When It's Not Empty

One morning, I woke up to find that my 2 year old had removed the ink cartridges from the printer. When I put them back in, the printer told me they were all empty and to replace them. I knew that was not true because at least one of them had been replaced recently. So I went looking for a solution that would not require me to replace my ink cartridges which were not empty.

Here it is:



The picture below is how the ink cartridge looks. There's a little window there that the printer looks through and when it is empty, it registers an empty cartridge. As you can see, the window is barely halfway down the cartridge so the cartridge may still be half full.


The trick is to take a piece of electric tape and cover the window to trick the printer into thinking the cartridge is still full. In the picture below, you can see I'm putting a piece of tape over the window.


The picture below is how the ink cartridge looks with the window covered.


Once all the windows on the ink cartridges were covered, the printer registered full ink cartridges. I've been able to print many more black and white and colour images and still haven't needed to replace them.

No comments:

Post a Comment