October 4, 2014

Coconut Apple Oatmeal Spice Cookies

This experiment turned out beautifully! Sooo yummy!



In my kitchen there is a lot of substituting going on. Sometimes it turns out good and sometimes it doesn't. This one was great and delicious.

I used the recipe off allrecipes.com called Beth's Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and tweaked it a lot.

Here's how I made them:


Coconut Apple Oatmeal Spice Cookies
7/8 apple (royal gala) cored
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon ground flax
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick oats

Changes from original:
Instead of the butter and shortening, I substituted it with coconut oil and apple. (I would have used the whole apple, but my kids begged me for a slice... thus it was only 7/8 of the apple.) I substituted the brown and white sugar with coconut sugar and honey, which I halved. (I almost always half the sugar in recipes.) Then I replaced some of the all-purpose flour with rice flour. And the only other change I made was to add a bit of flax. Oh, I also omitted the raisins. I don't see any reason why you can't put them in, they are just expensive here and my kids enjoy them as a treat (for going potty and cleaning up toys) so I chose to save them. 


Instructions:
Put the apple, sliced into eighths (unpeeled) in the blender with the coconut oil and eggs and blend. Mine wasn't totally smooth, but had itty bitty chunks in it. Remove it from the blender and place in a mixing bowl. Mix in the coconut sugar and honey. Then add in the rice and all-purpose flour along with the flax and mix in. Then add the baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt and mix that in. Lastly, mix in the oats.  I baked them on parchment paper in an oven preheated to 350' F for 10 minutes. This batch made about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Happy substituting!

No comments:

Post a Comment