March 16, 2013

GroVia Cloth Diaper Review

GroVia diapers are pretty good. I've used the one-size hybrid GroVia diaper with velcro closures for a year and a half now and I really like them. They come in a variety of adorable colours and designs, are one size so they fit a wide range of sizes from newborn until the child is potty trained, and they are very easy to use. They are however, much more expensive than some of the alternatives. I bought my first ones brand new, and after that only added to my collection because I found some barely used at a good price through Kijiji.



Here you can see that the insert snaps into the shell so that it stays in place. The insert itself has a waterproof layer on the bottom to keep it from leaking into the shell so the shell stays clean. The shell may then be reused with a new insert without washing it. The shell has a mesh layer on it so the laminated PUL fabric is not against the baby's skin. Some people prefer this. However, it does mean that if the shell does get pee on it, it must be washed. You also can't use other inserts in it that don't have that waterproof layer on them. Well, you can, but you' may have to wash the shell after every use. The inserts are a few layers thick so they do take a little longer than other diapers (ie. prefolds) to dry, though they dry faster than all-in-one diapers.


 They do wear out. This is the most worn of my inserts with a year and a half of use. I still continue to use it despite the raggedy edges around the elastic.


 My biggest concern for wear and tear in these diapers is the velcro. You can get them with snap closures, which would last much longer. But I by far prefer the velcro because they are so much faster to use. However, as you can see with my most worn diaper, after a year and a half of use the hook velcro is very pilled and with my active one year old, the diaper will fall right off. Since the velcro is built in, it's not really replaceable. I'll have to let you know if I figure out a way to prolong its use.


You can also buy these boosters to go on top of the regular insert for added absorbancy for overnight. It didn't work so well for me. I'm not sure if my child was just a really heavy wetter or I wondered if the booster made the diaper so thick, it pulled the cover away so that it leaked out the sides.


Addition on July 18, 2013:
We went on a road trip a couple weeks ago and my almost 2 year old wet through these diapers 3 times in a row. He soaked right through them and his pants and his car seat. I no longer use these ones on him, but stick with the Flip which I have never had an accident in. So I only use these now on my 6 month old and they are more than adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment