September 26, 2019

Giant Water Bug

This giant bug was in the water table in our backyard. It is about an inch and a half long and I was so shocked when I saw it. I didn't know we had such big bugs in this part of the world.



I tried to put a ruler up to it but I was probably still holding it up from it a fair bit. There was a plug next to it in the way and honestly I was pretty squeamish about touching it. I have been in close contact with my fair share of big bugs, but I still don't like it.


Apparently though I have good reason for being squeamish. From what I read after researching it, this guy has a pretty painful bite. And no wonder; it'll eat snails, tadpoles and even small fish. It's called a Toe-Biter in some parts.


Apparently they are a delicacy in Asia. Yuck!


No comments:

Post a Comment